Monday, September 10, 2007

Paper and More Paper and Cardstock, OH My!


Every scrapper has a lot of money invested in Patterned Papers and Cardstock. You want to be able to keep it neat where the edges won't get bent and the papers won't get creased while you've looking through them. You also want to be able to organize
them so you can find just the piece you need.

You can store much more in a smaller space if you store them vertically. To create my own storage solution I used Priority Mail boxes from things I ordered online.

First, if you're using new boxes, remove the adhesive strip from the bottom of the box and assemble the bottom. Then remove the top flaps with an exacto knife. Next, on one of the thinner side measure up 5 inches and draw a line across the short side of the box.

Next at the top of the box in the corner opposite from the side where you drew the line- measure in 2 and a half inches and make a mark. Do the same thing on the other long side. Next, using a marker draw a diagonal line from the mark you just made to edge of the short line. Repeat on the other side of the box. Cut and remove the parts of the box you no longer need.

Finally, cover your box with white contact paper or any pattern of paper you choose.

To make dividers for your boxes use posterboard. Cut 12 inches wide and 13 inches tall. Add tabs to the top so you can label your papers however you decide to organize them. I traced the tops of file folders to make my tabs in three positions I could stagger and then used the first three diveders as templates to make the rest.

How you divide your papers is a matters of preference. Mine are sorted by manufacturer with the exception of certain themes, like Scouts, Holiday or Disney.

I love this storage solution and as I start to run out of space I just make a new box when my next shipment arrives.

3 comments:

Vickie ~ WhimseyDimples said...

Great tip Amy!
I love all your thrifty ideas.
Thanks for sharing all your clever projects!

Robin said...

I just love this idea Amy. Thanks.
Robin

Heather Huggins said...

Great tip.. I'm going to try this!

Heather